Saturday, November 1, 2008

You know, there's just something to be said for Friday night HS football games, chilly weather, a large cup of Hot Chocolate and a fresh funnel cake! Sherwood played its final home football game last night, so JEB and I decided to go watch. Jn had gone to Auburn with several of his vball players and the other coach to watch Auburn play vball, so JEB and I were on our own. First, after picking him up from aftercare and seeing he was totally into Halloween......chocolate stains on his shirt, sucker in mouth and one in his little goodie bag and leftovers all over his face, I decided the best course of action was a bath, first then football game. Believe me, he wasn't very excited about giving up that sucker, either! So, off we went to the bathtub and quickly got all cleaned up and off to the game we went.

We got there early enough to get a great parking place and of course, most important, right when the concession stand opened!! Chicken fingers and fries and a coke, which we all know is the dinner of champions!!! And growing little boys! The boys played well, and of course, JEB enjoyed watching the cheerleaders, one of which is his babysitter when Jn and I go out. He was thrilled to see K and enjoyed watching the boys run up and down the field. Now, let me say, that I'm very proud of the guys and the team, this was their first winning season EVER in school history and to top it all off, they played this whole season with a head coach, who was going thru chemo and dealing with a form of terminal blood cancer. God has truly been with him this season, and it seems his cancer is in a mild form of remission. Please pray for him, Coach 'Rock', as he goes after Thanksgiving for stem cell harvesting and after Christmas, stem cell transplants. He is an amazing guy and truly loves the Lord and is always out to see what he can teach the guys thru what he's going thru. Ultimately, he knows that God is on the throne and has already determined the outcome of it all. His son, N, is the star running back and is also playing qb due to a broken foot for our regular quarterback. N, is one of my students and he's dealing with all of this with amazing strength and maturity for a 16 yr. old kid. I enjoyed watching him play last night.

Probably the only regret I had about going to this game....I forgot to take a blanket!! After the sun went down, it was COLD!!!! Poor JEB's little fingers were quite cold by the time we headed for home, but after half-time and the cheerleaders dance, we decided it was time to go!! I'm glad the guys won and will now play for the FIRST TIME EVER, in the playoffs. I hope they can go a couple of rounds. That would be way cool!!!

And then....the funnel cakes were awesome!! So much so, that JEB and I had TWO! I know, I know, but I'm such a sucker for sweet powdery sugar concoctions.....and just think, the fair is this week!! Wow, more sweet delights!


1 comment:

June Cleaver in Sneakers said...

Popcorn, cotton candy, and funnel cake? Now, you're talking my language!

I'm glad to see you've decided to keep your blog. I don't find the time to post everyday like most bloggers. Somehow, I have to make that work.

Sounds like you and JEB had a perfect date night.

We'll be praying for Coach "Rock".

Love you,
rj